Change owner or title holder particulars for a vehicle

What you should do
How long does it take
How much does it cost
Forms to complete
Who to contact



About changing owner or title holder particulars for a vehicle

Any changes to the particulars of the vehicle owner or title holder must be communicated to the appropriate registering authority within 21 days after such change. Use the notification of change of address or particulars of person or organisation (NCP) form.

When you sell your vehicle, you must notify your registering authority on the Notification of change of ownership/Sale of motor vehicle (NCO) form. The new owner must register the car in their name.

What you should do

  1. Go to your nearest registering authority.
  2. If you are changing your address, you must take along the following:
    • A copy of your identity (ID) document if you are a South African citizen. If you are a foreign citizen, you must bring both the original and certified copy of your ID issued by your country of origin and your temporary residence permit.
    • Proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit. 
    • If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your residential address
  3. If you are a South African citizen, you must complete and submit form NCP only. If you are a foreign citizen, you must complete the NCP form and the Notice in respect of traffic register number (ANR) form.
  4. If you are selling the vehicle:
    • The seller must complete the NCO form and submit it to their registering authority.
    • The seller must hand over the registration certificate to the buyer.
    • The buyer must complete the Application for registration and licencing of motor vehicle form (RLV) for submission.
    • The buyer must submit the vehicle registration certificate, if the vehicle was registered in South Africa.
    • Provide a mass measuring certificate if the vehicle’s tare was changed.
  5. The buyer of the vehicle must submit the forms at the registering authority within 21 days of buying the vehicle, along with the registration form obtained from the seller and a roadworthiness certificate (it is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy).
  6. If the vehicle is registered under a company, you must also submit a certificate of incorporation or name change as issued in terms of the Companies Act or a founding statement.
  7. The registering authority assesses your application and you must pay the fees as prescribed by your province. 
  8. If required by the registering authority you will have to provide proof of the right to be registered as the title holder of the motor vehicle concerned, e.g. an invoice or a sales agreement. If  you do not have that,  phone your nearest call centre or registering authority to establish whether they accept or require any other document as proof.

How long does it take

Applications are processed on the same day.

How much does it cost

Contact your local licensing office for the cost.

Forms to complete

  • Notice of change of particulars (NCP)
  • Application for registration and licensing (RLV)
  • Notice of change of ownership/sale of motor vehicle (NCO)
  • Notice in respect of traffic register number (ANR)

Forms are obtainable from the registering authority or you can download them from the eNaTIS website.

Who to contact


Share this page