If you want to apply for a prospecting right you must lodge the application online.
A prospecting right is a permit which allows you or your company to survey or investigate an area of land for the purpose of identifying an actual or probable mineral deposit.
A prospecting right is valid for five years. After the expiry of the five years you may request renewal of the prospecting right for a period of no longer than three years.
The prospecting right will be granted if:
- you have access to financial resources and expertise to conduct the proposed prospecting operation optimally
- you have a financing plan that is compatible with the intended prospecting operation and for the duration thereof
- you are able to comply with the Mine Health and Safety 1996 (Act 29 of 1996)
- you are not contravening the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act, 2002 (Act 28 of 2002)
- no other person holds a prospecting right, mining right, mining permit or retention permit for the same mineral and land
- no unacceptable pollution or damage to the environment will occur as a result of the prospecting operation.
- Apply online.
- Pay the required, non-refundable application fee.
- Apply for environmental authorisation at the same time.
- If the system accepts your application, you will be requested to consult with the landowner, legal occupier of the land or any other affected party.
- Submit the outcome of the consultations to the regional manager within 30 days.
- If all the requirements have been met, the regional manager will submit the application to the Minister for consideration.
- If the South African Mineral Resources Administration System:
- does not accept the application, you will be informed immediately online
- accepts the application, you will be informed within 14 days to to consult with the landowner and legal occupier of the land as well as any other affected party.
- You must submit a written outcome of the consultation to the regional manager within 30 days.
- Once the requirements have been met, the regional manager must submit the application to the Minister for consideration.
The cost will be determined according to the mineral that you intend to mine.
Applications should be submitted online.