Petroleum products are subject to import/export control and therefore a company or an individual that intends importing or exporting petroleum products into or out of South Africa requires an import or export permit.
The issuing of petroleum import and export permits is subject to requirements administered by the.
To be considered for authorisation, you must contact the department regarding the required procedure. Goods such as crude oil, fuel, paraffin, lubricating oils, petroleum gases, petroleum jelly, petroleum bitumen and paraffin wax are subject to import and export control measures.
- Request the import or export permit application form from International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC) or download them.
- Complete the application form and submit it to the Department of Energy for authorisation, together with a copy of your company’s VAT registration certificate.
- Once your application has been authorised, collect it from the DoE and submit it to ITAC.
- ITAC will process your application and issue you with a permit if your application is successful.
Note: Import permits are valid for 12 and export permits for six months.
The turnaround time for the issuing of import permits is three working days.
ITAC does not charge service fees but you will have to pay customs duty to the South African Revenue Service (Sars). Customs duty is calculated as a percentage of the value of the goods (set in the schedules to the Customs and Excise Act). For more information on Sars customs duty, visit the Sars website.
- Export authorisation
- Application to register as an Exporter or Change of current information (IEPS 230-b)
- Application to Register as an Importer IE230
- Application for Import Permit for Commercial purposes IE461
ITAC national office - Import and Export Control
Tel: 0861 834 384, 012 394 3590, 012 394 3591
Physical address: International Trade Administration Commission, 77 Meintjies Street, Block D, Sunnyside, Pretoria, 0001
Postal address: Private Bag X753 Pretoria, 0001
Web address: http://www.itac.org.za
Department of Energy
Tel: 012 406 8000
Physical address: 192 Visagie Street, Corner Paul Kruger & Visagie Street, Pretoria, 0001
Postal address: Private Bag X96, Pretoria, 0001
Web address: http://www.energy.gov.za