South African Government

Let's grow South Africa together

Import permit for general goods

What you should do
How long does it take
How much does it cost
Forms to complete
Who to contact



About import permits

If you are planning to bring controlled goods, used or second-hand goods, waste or scrap into the country, you first need to register as an importer with the South African Revenue Service (Sars) and then apply to the International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC) for an import permit.

An import permit ensures that the goods you intend importing, conform to the safety, quality, environmental and health requirements of the country. They must also comply with the provisions of international agreements.

Import permits also help to control the inflow of goods of a strategic nature or smuggled goods.

The policy that applies to the importation of goods differs from one sector to another. Most new goods are exempt from import control measures. However, all used goods, second-hand goods, waste and scrap are subject to import control measures.

What you should do

  1. Register as an importer at Sars.
  2. Go to ITAC or download the applicable form
  3. Fill in the forms
  4. Submit the forms to the Directorate: Import and Export Control at ITAC.


  1. You can have a list of goods that are subject to import control measures posted, faxed or e-mailed to you if you provide ITAC with your contact details.
  2. If you need policy information on the importation of specific goods, provide the particulars of goods to be imported to ITAC’s import and export control office.

How long does it take

In most instances import permits are issued within five working days.

How much does it cost

Itac does not charge service fees but you will have to pay customs duty to Sars. Customs duty is calculated as a percentage of the value of the goods (set in the schedules to the Customs and Excise Act). For more information on Sars customs duty, visit the Sars website.

Forms to complete

Who to contact


ITAC national office - Import and Export Control

Tel: 0861 834 384, 012 394 3590, 012 394 3591
City/town: Pretora
Province: Gauteng
Physical address: International Trade Administration Commission, 77 Meintjies Street, Block D, Sunnyside, Pretoria, 0001
Postal address: Private Bag X753 Pretoria, 0001
Web address: