War veterans grant

 What you should do
 How long does it take
 How much does it cost
 Forms to complete
 Who to contact



About a war veteran's grant

If you are a former soldier who fought in the Second World War (1939-1945) or the Korean War (1950-1953) and are unable to support yourself, you can apply for a war veteran’s grant.

How do you know if you qualify?

You must:

  • be a South African citizen or permanent resident
  • live in South Africa
  • be 60 years of age or older or be disabled
  • have fought in the Second World War or the Korean War
  • not receive any other social grant for yourself  
  • not be cared for in a state institution
  • not earn more than R 78 120 if you are single or R156 240 if married
  • not have assets worth more than R 1 115 400 if you are single or R 2 230 800 if you are married.

Note: If you live in the house that you or your spouse own, the value is not taken into account for the purpose of the means test.

How much will you get?

You will get R 1 880 per month.

How will you be paid?

The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) will pay the grant to you through one of the following methods:

  • cash at a specific pay point on a particular day
  • electronic deposit into your bank or Postbank account (the bank may charge you for the service) 
  • an institution acting as administrator of the grant e.g. a welfare organisation.

Please note: If you are unable to collect the money yourself, you can appoint a procurator at the SASSA office, or give someone power of attorney to collect the grant on your behalf.

When may your grant be reviewed?

SASSA can decide if your grant must be reviewed. Your income as declared when you apply for the grant will form the basis this decision. You will be notified three months in advance of the date on which the review will take place or the date on which the life certificate (a document to prove that you are still alive) is due. If you receive your money through the bank, an institution or procurator, you are required to fill in a life certificate at the SASSA offices every year.  

When may your grant be suspended?

The following may result in the suspension of your grant:

  • when your circumstances change
  • the outcome of a review
  • if you fail to co-operate when your grant is reviewed
  • when you commit fraud or misrepresent yourself
  • if there was a mistake when your grant was approved.

When will your grant lapse?

The grant will lapse in the case of:

  • death
  • admission to a state institution
  • if the grant is not claimed for three consecutive months
  • when you are absent from the country.

Please note: If you are admitted to an institution that has a contract with the state to care for you, the social grant is reduced to 25% of the maximum amount of the grant. This will start from the fourth month following your admission to that institution. The reduced grant is re-instated immediately from the date you are discharged from the institution.

What you should do

  1. Go to the SASSA office nearest to where you live and bring the following:
    • Your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID. If you don't have an ID:
      • You must complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.
      • You must bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (like a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.
      • You must bring proof that you have applied for an at the Department of Home Affairs.
      • A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable)
    • Proof of your war service, e.g. certificate of service.
    • If you are under 60, a medical assessment or report stating that you cannot work.
    • Proof of your marital status. If:
      • you are single, an affidavit stating that you are single
      • you are married, your marriage certificate and your spouse’s identity document
      • you are divorced, your divorce order
      • your spouse is dead, your spouse’s death certificate.
      • If you or your spouse is employed, your pay slips.
      • If you are unemployed, your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) blue book or discharge certificate from your previous employer.
      • If you have a bank account, your bank statements for the last three months.
      • If you have investments, information on the interest and dividends you earn.

Please note: If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf. The person should take a letter from you and/or a doctor's note saying why you cannot visit the office.

  1. Complete the application form in the presence of the SASSA officer (note that only you as the applicant or a SASSA official may complete the application form).
  2. You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.
  3. If you want to enrol for cash payments, the SASSA officer will give you a date when you need to come back and what you need to bring with you.

What if your application is not approved?

  1. If your application is not approved, SASSA will inform you in writing why your application was unsuccessful.
  2. If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal to the Minister of Social Development at the national office of the Department of Social Development. You must appeal within 90 days of being notified that your application was unsuccessful.

How long does it take

  • It may take up to three months to process your application.
  • If your grant is approved, you will be paid from the day you applied.

How much does it cost

The service is free.

Forms to complete

Application forms are not available online, but you can get them from your nearest SASSA office.

Who to contact

South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)


SASSA Toll free: 0800 60 10 11
Email:  GrantEnquiries@sassa.gov.za