Care dependency grant

What you should do
How long does it take
How much does it cost
Forms to complete
Who to contact



About the care dependency grant

Get a grant to take care of a child who has a severe disability and is in need of full-time and special care.

The care dependency grant covers disabled children from birth until they turn 18.

How do you know if you qualify?

You must:

  • be a parent, primary caregiver or a foster parent appointed by the court
  • be a South African citizen or permanent resident
  • not earn more than R223 200 a year  if you are single. Your combined income should not be above R446 400  a year if you are married.

Note: This income limit does not apply to foster parents.

The child must:

  • be younger than 18 years
  • not be cared for permanently in a state institution
  • have a severe disability and need full-time and special care.

Both you and the child must live in South Africa.

Note: A state medical officer must assess the child before the grant will be approved.

How much will you get?

You will get R2 180 per month.

How will you be paid?

The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) will pay the grant to you through one of the following methods:

  • cash at a specific pay point on a particular day
  • electronic deposit into your bank or Postbank account (the bank may charge you for the service) 
  • an institution acting as administrator of the grant (e.g. welfare organisations).

Note: If you are unable to collect the money yourself, you can appoint a procurator at the SASSA office, or give someone power of attorney to collect the grant on your behalf.

When may the child’s grant be reviewed?

SASSA can decide if your grant must be reviewed. Your income as declared when you apply for the grant will form the basis for this decision. You will be notified three months in advance of the date when the review will take place or the date on which the life certificate (document to prove that you are still alive) is due. If you receive your money through the bank, an institution or procurator, you are required to fill in a life certificate at the SASSA offices every year.   

When may the child’s grant be suspended?

The following may result in the suspension of the grant:

  • when the child’s circumstances change
  • the outcome of a review
  • if you fail to co-operate when the child’s grant is reviewed
  • when you commit fraud or misrepresent the child
  • if there was a mistake when the child’s grant was approved.

When will your grant lapse?

The grant will lapse when the:

  • child passes away
  • child is admitted to a state institution
  • beneficiary who is the caregiver does not claim the grant for three consecutive months
  • child is absent from the country
  • child turns 18.

What you should do

  1. Go to the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office nearest to where you live and bring the following:
    • your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID) and birth certificate. If you don't have an ID or birth certificate:
      • Complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.
      • Bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (such as a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.
      • The SASSA official will take your fingerprints and refer you to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID while your application is processed. If you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended.
      • Proof that you have applied for an ID and/or birth certificate at the Department of Home Affairs
      • A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable).
      • Baptismal certificate if available.
      • Road to health clinic card if available.
      • School report if available.
    • A medical/assessment report that confirms the child’s disability.
    • Proof of your marital status.
    • Your salary slip, bank statements for the previous three months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income. (Note: this does not apply to refugee foster parents.) 
    • If you are:
      • not the child's parent, proof that you are the child’s primary caregiver through an affidavit from a police official, a social worker’s report, an affidavit from the biological parent or a letter from the school principal from the school attended by the child 
      • the biological parent of the child and the sole provider and caregiver, proof that you have tried to get the other parent to pay maintenance
      • unemployed, proof from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) or a discharge certificate from your previous employer
      • a refugee foster parent, refugee status permit and refugee ID 
      • the child’s foster parent, the court order placing the child in your care.
      • Please note: If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf. The person should take a letter from you and/or a doctor's note saying why you cannot visit the office.
  2. SASSA will refer the child for a state medical officer’s assessment before the application is made.
  3. Complete an application form in the presence of the SASSA officer (note that only you as the applicant or a SASSA official can complete the application form).
  4. You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.

What if your application is not approved?

If your application is not approved, SASSA will inform you in writing why it was unsuccessful.

If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal to the Minister of Social Development at the national office of the Department of Social Development, explaining why you disagree. You must appeal within 90 days of being notified that your application was unsuccessful.

How long does it take

  • It may take up to three months to process your application.

How much does it cost

The service is free.

Forms to complete

The application form is not available online, but you can get it at your nearest (SASSA) office.

Who to contact

SASSA Toll free: 0800 60 10 11


Share this page