Letter of authority for imported or rebuilt motor vehicle

What you should do
How long does it take
How much does it cost
Forms to complete
Who to contact



About applying for a letter of authority in respect of a motor vehicle

If you intend to import a new or used vehicle, goods vehicle or trailer, or to register a built (manufactured) or modified vehicle, you must first obtain a letter of authority from the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS).

You must have the letter of authority irrespective of whether the vehicle was built in South Africa or in a foreign country. Types of vehicle for which you require a letter of authority are:

  • cars, buses and motorcycles
  • goods vehicles (trucks or vans)
  • trailers
  • special vehicles such as mobile cranes, tractors and harvesters.

All motor vehicles, whether manufactured in South Africa or imported, must conform to the requirements as set out in the National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act 93 of 1996). Importers must also submit proof of conformity to the requirements of the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS).

If the application is for one vehicle only, only the person in whose name the vehicle will be registered may complete the application form.

What you should do

  1. Download the application for the relevant letter of authority form or obtain it from the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS).
  2. Complete the form and send it to the NRCS with the required documents as listed on the form.
  3. Pay the required fee.

How long does it take

Your letter of authority should be ready within four to six days.

How much does it cost

See the applicable application form for costs.

Forms to complete

Who to contact


Sifiso Phakathi
Tel: 012 482 8865
E-mail: phakatsz@nrcs.org.za

Charlotte Makou
Tel: 012 482 8785

Call Centre
Tel: 012 482 8700

Share this page