The community broadcasting licence serves the broadcasting needs of a community for a maximum of four years. It is renewable on condition that you apply for the renewal of the licence not earlier than six months and not later than three months before the expiry date of the existing licence. It is renewable only on condition that the licensee has complied with the conditions set out by the licensing authority.
The licence is awarded to communities who establish themselves as a Section 21 company, trust, voluntary association or any other legally recognised non-profit making entity.
A four-year community broadcasting licence may be granted in the following categories:
- Sound broadcasting service
- Television broadcasting service.
The licence is valid for four years.
The Department of Communications supports four-year licensees with broadcast and production equipment, provided they meet the requirements of the Department.
The Independent Communication Authority of South Africa (Icasa) will issue an invitation to apply for a community sound broadcasting service in the Government Gazette and allocate available frequencies to different areas. As the applicant for a licence, you should do the following:
- Establish a working group to take responsibility for the application process and serve as applicant on behalf of the community
- Ensure that the working group:
- collects signatures from the community
- writes a business plan
- facilitates the democratic election of board members
- determine the location of the studio and transmission site
- Request a broadcasting service and signal distribution application form
- Complete the application form in print, using capital letters
- Submit the original application form and 16 certified copies to Icasa with application fee.
Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant and no responsibility for any inconvenience will be accepted.
It may take three to four months.
The application form will be part of the schedules published in the Government.
Tel 011 3218200
Fax 011 4441461
Physical address Block D Pinmill Farm, 164 Katherine Street, Sandton
Postal address Private Bag x10002, Sandton, 2146