The Broadcasting Act, 1999 (Act 4 of 1999), defines a low power sound broadcasting service as a community, private or public sound broadcasting service that radiates power not exceeding one watt.
A low power sound broadcasting licence may be granted in the following categories:
- Commercial low power sound broadcasting services – services operating from and broadcasting to shopping malls/centres, sports grounds, show grounds and drive-in movie theatres, or any other like service the Independent Communication Authority of South Africa (Icasa) may deem appropriate
- Community low power sound broadcasting services – services operating from and broadcasting to old age homes, links between places of worship, links between places of worship and old age homes, or any other like service the Authority may deem appropriate.
Both community and commercial low power sound broadcasting licences shall be valid for three years, and a special event low power sound broadcasting licence shall be valid for thirty days.
- Identify a suitable frequency for low power use.
- Determine the location of the studio and transmission site.
- Establish a working group to take responsibility for the application process and serve as applicant on behalf of the event organisers.
- The working group must:
- Collect signatures from the community
- Write a business plan
- Facilitate the democratic election of Board members
- Request a copy of the broadcasting service and signal distribution application form from Icasa.
- Complete the application form in print, using capital letters.
- Submit the original and 16 certified copies of the application form to Icasa, together with the application fee.
Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant and no responsibility for any inconvenience will be accepted.
Approval of this licence may take two to three months.
- Commercial licence: R5 000.
- Non-refundable fee of R500 upon issuing of the licence.
- Commercial special event licence: R2 000.
- Community licence: R1 500.
- Non-refundable fee of R200 upon the issuing of the licence.
- Community special event licence: R500.
The application form will be part of the schedules that will be published in the Government Gazette.
|Tel||012 427 8000|
|Fax||012 427 8016|
|Physical address||Iparioli Office Park, 399 Duncan Street, Hatfield, Pretoria|
|Postal address||Private Bag X860, Pretoria, 0001|