Private individuals or businesses may apply for a licence to operate an unreserved postal or courier service.
Only the South African Post Office may:
- deliver addressed letters
- deliver items weighing one kilogramme or less
- deliver cylinders of 458 mm or less, 100 mm thickness and a mass of up to one kilogramme
- issue postage stamps
- provide roadside collection and address boxes.
Registration is valid for a period of three year from the date of issue of a registration certificate.
- Complete the application form in triplicate.
- Pay the application fee to the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA):
Account No: 1454090456
Branch code: 198765
Branch: Nedbank South Africa
Swift code: NEDSZAJJ
- Include the following with the application:
- registration certificate of business
- certified copies of all relevant founding documents
- details of shareholders and the percentage shareholding of each
- particulars of contnbrolling entity
- detailed business plan.
- Failure to comply with any of these requirements may lead to disqualification of the application.