Should you want to manufacture, import or build motor vehicles in South Africa for profit, you must first register with the provincial department of transport.
Once the department receives your application, it will send an inspector to determine if you comply with the relevant regulations. Your business will also be subjected to South African Police Service (SAPS) clearance.
- Go to the provincial department of transport and submit the following:
- a completed application and notice in respect of manufacturer/importer/ builder of vehicles (MIB) form
- certified copy of your identity document (ID)
- certified copy of the proxy’s ID (if the applicant is a body of persons)
- certified copy of the business certificate (if the applicant is a body of persons)
- letter of proxy if you represent a company
- custom code number from the South African Revenue Service (SARS) (if you are an importer)
- proof of VAT registration from SARS
Registration is subject to the relevant MEC’s approval and the registration certificate is issued on such approval.
Contact your local department of transport for the cost.
Contact your local department of transport