South African Government

Let's grow South Africa together

Deregister a motor vehicle

About | What you should do | How long does it take | How much does it cost | Forms to complete | Who to contact


About deregistering your motor vehicle

You must apply to deregister your motor vehicle if it:

  • has been declared permanently unfit to be on a public road
  • has been stolen 
  • has been permanently demolished 
  • becomes exempt from registration.  

The registering authority will then issue a deregistration certificate. A motor vehicle that has not been licensed for four years will be deregistered automatically.

What you should do

  1. Go to your nearest registering authority and submit the following:
    • a certified copy of your identity document
    • a certified copy of proof of ownership of the motor vehicle (title holder) 
    • supporting documentation if required
    • the vehicle’s registration certificate.
  2. Complete the Application for deregistration of vehicle (ADV) form.

How long does it take

The application will be processed on the same day.

How much does it cost

The service is free but penalties and arrears may be charged if the application is late.

Forms to complete

Application for deregistration of vehicle (ADV) form.

Forms are obtainable from the registering authority or you can download them from the eNaTIS website.

Who to contact


Contact your local department of transport