If you want to import controlled or used and second-hand personal or individual goods into South Africa you need permission from the International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC).
A list of goods that are subject to import and export control measures is available on the Itac website. If you submit your contact details to ITAC, the list can be posted, faxed or e-mailed to you.
- Register as an importer at the South African Revenue Service (Sars)
- Go to Itac or download the applicable forms
- Submit the application forms with a certified copy of your identity document or valid South African passport to ITAC.
It may take up to three days to complete the process
ITAC does not charge any service fees but you will have to pay customs duty to Sars. Customs duty is calculated as a percentage of the value of the goods (set in the schedules to the Customs and Excise Act). For more information on customs duty, visit the Sars website.
- Application to import goods for personal use, IE 463
- Annexure to IE 463 application to import goods for personal use
ITAC national office - Import and Export Control
Tel: 0861 834 384, 012 394 3590, 012 394 3591
Physical address: International Trade Administration Commission, 77 Meintjies Street, Block D, Sunnyside, Pretoria, 0001
Postal address: Private Bag X753 Pretoria, 0001
Web address: http://www.itac.org.za