To import plants, plant products and other regulated articles to South Africa you must apply for an import permit issued by the National Plant Protection Organisation of South Africa (NPPOZA). The permit is valid for a year.
You must meet the phytosanitary import conditions of the Agricultural Pests Act, 1983 (Act 36 of 1983) or the National Plant Protection Organisation of South Africa (NPPOZA).
If products are not exempted from the import permit, you must complete an application form to import the products. If the products are exempted, you must ensure that they comply with phytosanitary measures for such exemption.
You must send a copy of the import permit to the exporter/supplier. The National Plant Protection Organisation (NPPO) of the exporting country must check if the products meet the import requirements of South Africa.
If import requirements are met, the NPPO will issue a phytosanitary certificate. The exporter must send the original phytosanitary certificate with the goods to South Africa.
- Complete an Application for a permit for the importation of controlled goods and email to PlantHealthPermits@daff.gov.za or deliver it by hand to office 542 or 543 Harvest House, 30 Hamilton Street, Arcadia, Pretoria.
- Pay the prescribed fee electronically or at the Department: The banking details are as follows:
Bank name: Standard Bank
Account name: Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries: Import of controlled goods
Account number: 011251735
Branch name: Arcadia
Branch code: 01-08-45
- Send a copy of the import permit to the exporter/supplier.
- At the South African port of entry:
- NPPOZA inspectors will inspect the products and the phytosanitary certificate
- If the products comply with import requirements, the products will be released.
- You or your agent must take the import documents to the South African Revenue Service for final release
National Plant Protection Organisation of South Africa (NPPOZA)
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Plant Health Import Permit Office
P.O Box 40024
30 Hamilton Street