To manufacture, import, or sell farm feed or pet food, you must be registered in terms of the Fertilizers, Farm Feeds, Agricultural Remedies and Stock Remedies Act, 1947 (Act 36 of 1947).
Farm feed and pet food are substances obtained by crushing or gritting condimental food, vitamins, or minerals. They are used for feeding domestic animals or livestock.
Before submitting your application, you must send a sample of the farm feed or pet food to any accredited laboratory. The product must be analysed according to the specified requirements.
Please note: Product registrations are valid for three years. You must renew the registration after three years.
- Take a sample of the farm feed or pet food to an accredited laboratory for analysis to get a laboratory certificate.
- Documents required when applying to register a product:
- a covering letter stating the reason for your application
- written permission, if the farm feed or pet food has already been registered by another person
- certificate of analysis from an accredited laboratory
- proof of payment
- proposed product packaging or label.
- Download the application for registration of farm feed and fill it in. The form must be signed by a Commissioner of Oaths.
- Pay the prescribed fee. If you are posting your application, you must pay the prescribed fee by cheque or electronic fund transfer (EFT) in favour of the Director-General: Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. If you are going to hand-deliver your application and your application fee, you must make sure you get a receipt of payment. If you are paying your fee through an Electronic Transfer Account, you must pay it into the following account:
Account name: NDA-ACT36 of 1947
Account number: 11 2031 02
Branch code: 01 0845
Bank name: Standard Bank
Reference: 11FF1 and your company name
- Attach to the application form the: covering letter, proposed product label, certificate of analysis from the laboratory and proof of payment.
- Submit the application forms (one original and a copy) and the attached documents to: The Registrar: Act 36 of 1947, Private Bag X343, Pretoria, 0001 or hand-deliver them to: The Registrar: Act 36 of 1947, Agriculture Place, 20 Steve Biko Street, Arcadia, Pretoria.
- Application form for the registration of pet food (including complementary pet food or treat)
- Application form for the registration of complete or concentrate horse and other feed
- Application form for the registration of complete or concentrated ruminant feed(s) (with NPN)
- Application form for the registration of complete or concentrated monogastric feed(s)
- Application form for the registration of animal or plant derived raw material
- Application form for the registration of milk replacers
- Application form for the registration of general supplements, licks or herbal supplements
Tel: 012 319 6863
Tel: 012 319 6657
Fax: 012 319 7179
Physical address: 20 Steve Biko Street, Arcadia, Pretoria
Postal address: Private Bag X343, Pretoria 0001
Web address: https://www.dalrrd.gov.za/Branches/Agricultural-Production-Health-Food-S...