Death certificate

A person’s death must be reported to any one of the following people:

  • Specific officers at the Department of Home Affairs
  • South African Police Service members, especially in areas where the Department of Home Affairs has no offices
  • South African mission, embassy or consulate, if the death occurred abroad
  • Funeral undertakers who are appointed and recognised by the law.

A Death Report will be issued after a death has been registered. These designated persons may also issue burial orders. No burial may take place unless authorised by way of a burial order.

The Department of Home Affairs will issue a death certificate on receipt of the notification of death.

Find out more about obtaining a death certificate or contact the Department of Home Affairs.


Share this page