Lodge a complaint about police misconduct

You may lodge a complaint with the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID) if you want them to investigate:

  • deaths in police custody
  • deaths as a result of police actions
  • any complaint relating to the discharge of an official firearm by any police officer
  • rape by a police officer, whether the police officer is on or off duty
  • rape of any person while in police custody
  • any complaint of torture or assault against a police officer in the execution of duties.

You must open a case at your nearest police station and only report to the IPID Office if the police fail to assist you.

Find out more about lodging a complaint or contact the Independent Police Investigative Directorate on 012 399 0000.


Share this page