Register birth

You must register the birth of your child within 30 days after birth. The birth can be registered by a parent, guardian or any other person legally responsible for the child at an office of the Department of Home Affairs. If you are overseas, the birth can be registered at your nearest embassy or mission.

Registration of birth after 30 days is considered a late registrations and additional requirements apply.

Once the child’s birth has been registered, an unabridged birth certificate is issued for free. You can apply for additional unabridged birth certificates, for which a fee will be payable. An unabridged birth certificate is needed if you want to travel out of the country with the child.

Find out more about how to register a birth, or contact the Department of Home Affairs.


Share this page