South African Government

Let's grow South Africa together

Roadworthy certificate

About | What you should do | How long does it take | How much does it cost | Forms to complete | Who to contact

About a roadworthy certificate

You must have your motor vehicle tested for roadworthiness before you register it in your name. If your motor vehicle is used for public transport or is a heavy-load vehicle (excluding buses), you must take it to be tested for roadworthiness every year before you renew the motor vehicle licence. A bus must be tested for roadworthiness every six months.

It is your responsibility as the owner of a vehicle to have your vehicle tested. You can take it to a private or public vehicle testing station.

At the end of the roadworthy test, if passed, a notice is issued.

What you should do

  1. Go to the nearest vehicle testing station with the following:
    • vehicle’s registration certificate
    • identity document (ID)
    • prescribed fee. 
  2. Complete the Application for certification of roadworthiness (ACR) form.

How long does it take

The application is processed on the same day.

How much does it cost

Contact the relevant testing station.

Forms to complete

Forms are obtainable at your nearest testing station.