South African Government

Let's grow South Africa together

Register for water use

All water users need to register with the Department of Water Affairs. You must register for water use if you do not receive water from a service provider, local authority, water board, irrigation board, government water scheme or other bulk supplier and are using water for:

  • irrigation
  • mining purposes
  • industrial use
  • feedlots
  • in terms of a General Authorisation.

In future, when water users are required to apply for licences, those who did not register will lower their chances of getting a licence to use water.

All persons or bodies required to register for water use can contact any regional office of the Department of Water Affairs.


Toll free number 0800 200 200