How do I obtain a temporary residence permit or visa?

Temporary residence permits or visas are issued by the Department of Home Affairs and include the following:

  • transit visas for the purpose of transiting South Africa en route to a neighbouring country
  • visitor’s visas for visits not exceeding 90 days
  • visitor’s visas for activities longer than 90 days but not exceeding three years
  • study visas
  • treaty visas
  • business visas
  • medical treatment visas
  • relative’s visas
  • work visas
  • retired person visas
  • exchange visas.

Applicants must submit an application for a temporary residence visa in person at the South African diplomatic representative in their country of origin or neighbouring country.

More information on the types of visas is available from the Department of Home Affairs.

Share this page