The Operation Phakisa programme, modelled around the Malaysian Big Fast Results methodology, is used by government to intensively focus on a particular sector, bringing together government, business, labour and academia to dissect and find solutions to delivery problems. The programme has successfully been implemented in education, health and the ocean economy.
Operation Phakisa: Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development aims to enhance and transform the agricultural sector as well as accelerate land reform to ensure an inclusive rural economy.
The programme will be launched under the theme “Transforming the Agricultural Sector towards an Inclusive Rural Economy”. Among other interventions, the programme reviews existing producer support models as well as development finance models aimed at fast tracking Land Reform to find workable solutions given the urgent need for government to make progress in land reform and food security.
The Operation Phakisa on Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development also seeks to address constraints in ensuring the equitable access to land, both towards economic development and agrarian transformation.
- creating greater market inclusion, value chain development that works towards an inclusive rural economy,
- a review of existing producer support models and
- development finance models aimed at fast tracking Land Reform.
The broad aim of the Lab is to stimulate growth, foster job creation and instil transformation along the agriculture and rural development value chain.
The Lab participants finalised twenty-seven (27) initiatives across seven work streams, namely:
- Land Reform
- Rural Development
- Horticulture and
- Producer Support
These work streams will assist in optimising the management of natural resources; developing skills and capacity in the agricultural sector; stimulate; funding and finance; value chain development and market access; coordination and knowledge management as well as reconfiguring space and promoting functional rural settlement.
Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development remain one of the key factors of the government’s Nine Point-Plan to boost economic growth and create much-needed jobs.
For more information visit the Operation Phakisa website.
Advisory, Statement and Speeches
- Address by President JG Zuma on the launch of Operation Phakisa on Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development, 24 Feb
- Minister Senzeni Zokwana signs Memorandum of Understanding on entry and exit animal inspection and quarantine with China, 24 Feb
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries signs Memorandum of Understanding with China, 24 Feb
- President Jacob Zuma launches Operation Phakisa on Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development, 21 Feb