If you want to offer home-based care to older persons, you must register as a caregiver at your nearest department of social development office.
A caregiver is someone who provides assistance to another person who cannot live fully independently due to physical, psychological, or mental disability.
To be registered as a caregiver, the service provider that employs you must ensure that you undergo (or have undergone) home-based care training,You must possess a certificate that indicates that you received your training from an institution accredited by the South African Qualification Authority.
- Go to your nearest department of social development office.
- Complete Form 7.
- Submit a certified copy of:
- your identity document or residence permit
- proof issued by the training institution that you received training as a caregiver.
- Once registered you will be issued with a registration certificate.
- You can apply for a duplicate if you lose or destroy the original certificate.
It may take up to five days to process your application.
There is no cost.
The application forms are available from your nearest Social Development office.