If you want to offer home-based care to older persons, you must register as a caregiver at your nearest department of social development office.
A caregiver is someone who provides assistance to another person who cannot live fully independently due to physical, psychological, or mental disability.
To be registered as a caregiver, the service provider that employs you must ensure that you undergo (or have undergone) home-based care training,You must possess a certificate that indicates that you received your training from an institution accredited by the South African Qualification Authority.
- Go to your nearest department of social development office.
- Complete Form 7.
- Submit a certified copy of:
- your identity document or residence permit
- proof issued by the training institution that you received training as a caregiver.
- Once registered you will be issued with a registration certificate.
- You can apply for a duplicate if you lose or destroy the original certificate.