The Minister of Public Service and Administration has formally informed Parliament of the transfer of powers and functions to new Ministers. Proclamation, No. 47 of 15 July 2014, was Gazetted whereby President Jacob Zuma approved the transfer of powers and functions of new Ministers.
The transfer of functions and institutions seeks to give administrative effect to the appointments made by President Zuma and creates alignment between the announced Cabinet portfolios and the departmental structures.
In terms of this Proclamation the new Ministerial portfolios are responsible for the following functions and institutions:
- Minister of Communications: Government Communication and Information System functions, Department of Communications, Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA), South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC), Brand SA; Media Development Diversity Agency, and the Film and Publication Board.
- Minister of Telecommunications and Postal Services: all telecommunications functions, Department of Telecommunications and Postal Services; Broadband Infrastructure Company (Pty) Ltd, South African Post Office Limited, Telkom SA Limited, National Electronic Media Institute of South Africa; State Information Technology Agency; Universal Service and Access Agency of South Africa, Universal Service and Access Fund, and Sentech Limited.
- Minister of Water and Sanitation: the sanitation function as part of the Department of Water and Sanitation.
- Minister in the Presidency responsible for Women: all functions pertaining to women, Department of Women and the Commission on Gender Equality. All functions pertaining to children and people with disabilities is now the responsibility of the Minister of Social Development.
- Minister of Small Business Development: functions pertaining to small business development, co-operatives and close corporations, Department of Small Business Development, and the Small Enterprise Development Agency.
- Minister in the Presidency responsible for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation: functions pertaining to the National Planning Commission, monitoring and evaluation; Department of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Statistics South Africa, and the National Youth Development Agency.
For more information, contact Brent Simons: