Permanent residence permits are issued by the Department of Home Affairs. Information on how to apply for a permanent residence permit is available from the department.
Direct residence permits are issued to:
- foreigners who have been residing in South Africa on the basis of their work permits for a minimum period of five years
- their spouses
- dependants of South African citizens or permanent residence permit holders.
You can also apply for permanent residency if you:
- are in possession of a permanent work offer in South Africa
- have exceptional skills and qualifications
- intend to establish a business in South Africa
- qualify as a refugee in terms of Section 27(c) of the Refugees Act
- qualify as a retired person
- are financially independent
- are relatives (biologically or judicially adopted) of a South African citizen or permanent residence permit holder.