Tourism Month is an annual celebration held in September to focus on the importance of tourism to the economy of South Africa.
For 2012, South Africa has adopted the United Nations World Travel Organisation (UNWTO) theme for World Tourism Day (27 September) – Tourism and Sustainable Energy: Powering Sustainable Development.
Responsible and sustainable tourism has been identified as the most appropriate (and important) concepts and guiding principles for tourism development in the country. South Africa was the first country in the world to include responsible tourism as a key pillar of its national tourism policy.
Tourism Month 2012 will focus on encouraging South Africans to travel within their own country and to get a better understanding of the affordable and exciting attractions available to them on their own doorstep.
This focus on affordable, accessible packages geared to the identified domestic tourism segments forms the basis of the campaign. The campaign promises: “Whatever you are looking for, it’s here, right on your doorstep in South Africa”.
The It’s Here, Vaya Mzansi campaign also leverages South Africa’s desirability globally as a leisure destination and encourages South Africans to enjoy all the benefits and experiences of this world-class destination on their doorstep.
Tourism Month is aimed at encouraging more people to embark on leisure activities and, in so doing, to increase the number of domestic holiday trips and tourism spend in all nine provinces, while contributing to a critical sector of the country’s economy.
‘GO! Be a tourist in your own country!’
- Being a tourist in South Africa enriches, excites, stimulates and gives you time to reconnect with family and friends. It’s an emotional benefit and an investment in self.
- It gives South Africans the opportunity to explore a destination that millions the world over dream of coming to – and it’s right here on your doorstep. It’s a place for extended holiday breaks or for short day trips
- South African Tourism encourages the trade to take domestic tourism seriously; to target products, experiences and marketing campaigns at domestic tourists and to creatively manage products and services to meet the specific consumer needs of domestic tourists.
Vaya Mzansi : It’s Here
- The campaign website offers more than 100 special offers and leisure deals to domestic tourists. They include experiences across South Africa that offer excellent value for money.
- South African Tourism has partnered with more than 50 local tourism companies to create discount vouchers ranging from tour-operator services, accommodation and experiences including wine-tasting, canopy tours and hiking. 30 000 of these discount vouchers will be distributed at the Getaway show taking place at the Coca-Cola Dome in Northgate. These vouchers are only redeemable during Tourism Month (1 to 30 September 2012).
- South Africans are warm, open, friendly, genuine, and hospitable. Experience this when you take a trip and give it to others when they visit your home town.
Read more about Tourism Month 2012.
Tourism South Africa has more information on tourism in South Africa.
Tourism authorities in the provinces: