Team South Africa made a good start by collecting their first gold medal in the London Paralympic Games when Natalie du Toit won the women's 100m butterfly on the first day.
The 2012 Paralympic Games takes place from 29 August to 9 September 2012 in London, England in the United Kingdom. This follows a very successful Olympic Games where South Africa won six medals, three of them gold. The Paralympic team hopes to improve on the 2008 team in Beijing that returned with 30 medals, 21 of them gold.
President Jacob Zuma congratulates Natalie du Toit, 31 August
Sterling send-off for SA Paralympic team, 22 August
The Department of Sport and Recreation (SRSA) launched the Magnificent Fridays on 14 January 2011 and is driving the concept with the Department of Arts and Culture, municipalities and the national federations. The campaign is aimed at generating interest for the Olympic Games, promote nation building, sport development and participation to a wider audience. South Africans from all walks of life are encouraged to wear their sports kit in support of the Olympic Team.
Following the success of Ekhaya during the recent Olympics, it's now re-opened for the Paralympics and will feature a host of wonderful South African artists and comedians during the next two weeks.
The full Team South Africa for the 2012 London Paralympics:
- Tshepo Bhebe, Dyan Buis, Andrea Dalle Ave, Pieter du Preez, Charl du Toit, Arnu Fourie, Ilse Hayes, Hilton Langenhoven, Anrune Liebenberg, Michael Louwrens, Teboho Mokgalagadi, Jan Nehro (guide: Duane Fortuin), Zandile Nhlapo, Jonathan Ntutu, Oscar Pistorius, Anika Pretorius, Samkelo Radebe, Casper Schutte, Union Sekailwe, Zanele Situ, Zivan Smith, Marius Stander, Duane Strydom, Fanie van der Merwe, Chenelle van Zyl.
Manager: Dion Bishop. Coaches: Suzanne Ferreira, Zelda Hansen, Hennie Koekemoer, Karin le Roux, Ampie Louw. Team Assistant: Neels Matthyser. Helper: Illse du Preez
- Roxy Burns, Madre Carinus, Stuart McCreadie, Jaco Nel, Ernst van Dyk, Gerhard Viljoen
- Manager: Mike Burns. Coach: Ricky Kulsen, Mechanic: Pieter Jansen
- Anthony Dawson, Philipa Johnson, Marion Milne, Wendy Moller
- Manager: Tracey Cumming. Coach: Chris Haazen. Vet: Sheelagh Higgerty. Grooms: Enoch Cele, Anton Chimbuanda, Elizabeth Newsome, Teri Smith
- Sandra Khumalo
- Manager/coach: Marco Galeone
- Renette Bloem, Charl Bouwer, Natalie du Toit, Emily Gray, Achmat Hassiem, Hendri Herbst, Marike Naude, Kevin Paul, Shireen Sapiro, Tadhg Slattery
- Manager: Queeneth Ndlovu. Coach: Karoly Toros. Coach/Tapper: Karin Hugo. Tapper/Helper: Eeden Meyer
- Justin Govender, Siphamandla Gumbi, Stuart Jellows, Kyle Louw, Luvuyo Mbande, Gift Mooketsi, Richard Nortje, Kobus Oeschger, Marius Papenfus, Marcus Retief, Jaco Velloen
- Manager: Willie Riechert. Coach: Patrick Fick. Assistant coach: Shadrack Moepeng. Technical coach: Franck Belen
- Evans Maripa, Sydwell Mathonsi, Kgothatso Montjane, Lucas Sithole
- Manager/coach: Holger Losch. Assistant coach: Khotso Matshego
General team management
- Chef de Mission: Pieter Badenhorst
- Project manager: Vinesh Maharaj
- Manager (logistics): Clifford Cobers, Logistics: Madira Sehlapelo
- Manager (athletes services): Chantelle Jardim, Athlete services: Dumisani Mtwa, Chief medical officer: Wayne Derman
- Chief physiotherapist: Grace Hughes
- Doctor: Paul Maphoto, Physiotherapists: Given Baloyi, Edwin Bodha, Greshne Davids, Shantal Edwards, Dan Ntseke, Evah Ramashala
- Classifier: Tarina van der Stockt
- London Olympics 2012
- Sport and Recreation South Africa
- Road to London 2012
- South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC)
- London Paralympic Games official website