57 of 2002
The Disaster Management Act 57 of 2002 intends to provide for:
- an integrated and co-ordinated disaster management policy that focuses on preventing or reducing the risk of disasters, mitigating the severity of disasters, emergency preparedness, rapid and effective response to disasters and post-disaster recovery;
- the establishment of national, provincial and municipal disaster management centres;
- disaster management volunteers; and
- matters incidental thereto.
- 1 April 2004, Chapters 2, 3 and 4; Chapters 1, 6 and 8 in so far as they relate to the Chapters referred to in sub-subparagraph (i)
- 1 July 2004, Remaining provisions of the Act