Alert level 2
Physical distancing and restrictions on leisure and social activities to prevent a resurgence of the virus.
Alert level 2 will be in place from 18 August 2020.
We continue to encourage people to stay at home if they can and, if possible, to work from home, especially if they are over the age of 60 or have underlying conditions.
The following changes will take effect under level 2:
- All restrictions on inter-provincial travel will be lifted.
- Visits to family and friends permitted in small groups.
- Accommodation, hospitality venues and tours will be permitted according to approved protocols to ensure social distancing.
- Restaurants, bars and taverns will be permitted to operate according to approved protocols as to times of operation and numbers of people.
- Alcohol may be served in all licensed restaurants.
- Restrictions on the sale of tobacco will be lifted.
- The suspension of the sale of alcohol will be lifted subject to certain restrictions.
- Alcohol will be permitted for on-site consumption in licensed establishments only up until 10pm.
- Liquor outlets will be allowed to sell alcohol for off-site consumption from Monday to Thursday during the hours of 9am to 5pm only.
- Restrictions on family and social visits will also be lifted, although everyone is urged to exercise extreme caution and undertake such visits only if necessary.
- Gyms and fitness centres will reopen with strict health and safety protocols in place.
- Parks, beaches and nature reserves will be open for outdoor activity.
The following restrictions will remain in place:
- It remains mandatory to wear a mask in public.
- Current restrictions on international travel will remain in place.
- No gatherings of more than 50 people will be permitted. Among others, this includes funerals and religious events.
- Spectators will not be permitted at sporting events.
- The curfew will remain in place between the hours of 10pm and 4am.