1 to 31 May
May is National Energy Month in South Africa.
Here are a few energy saving tips:
Electricity saving tips
- Take a shower instead of a bath.
- Don’t fill the kettle - only boil the water that you need.
- Keep the fridge door closed, and make sure it is properly sealed.
- Don’t cook with a small pot on a large stove plate.
- Dress for the season - warm in winter and light clothing in summer.
- Switch off all appliances when they are not in use.
- Reduce your heater or geyser temperature from hot to warm.
- Close all windows and doors when the air conditioner or heater is on.
- Use CFL energy saving bulbs at all times.
- Fit one light bulb with the correct level of brightness in a room.
- Turn the lights off when you leave a room.
- Do all ironing at the same time.
- Lighten the load in your vehicle.
- Plan your trips and minimise short trips or walk.
- Keep a safe following distance.
- Use air-conditioner only when necessary.
- Reduce idling time.
- Travel early/later to avoid known traffic peaks.
- Resolve minor and major car service issues.
- Keep your tyres inflated to the proper pressure.
- Join a lift club.
- If available use public transport.
- Use the recommended grade of motor oil for your car.
- Change gears according to your speed.