25 November to 10 December 2023
The 16 Days of Activism for No Violence against Women and Children Campaign is a United Nations campaign, which is held annually from 25 November (International Day for No Violence Against Women) to 10 December (International Human Rights Day). Other key commemorative days observed annually during this 16-day period include World Aids Day on 1 December and the International Day for Persons with Disabilities on 3 December.
This year marks the 25th anniversary since South Africa initiated the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence against Women and Children campaign. The 16 Days campaign focuses on raising awareness to the devastating impact that gender-based violence and femicide (GBVF) has on women and children, and the social fabric of our society.
The campaign will be launched on 25 November 2023, in Mpumalanga Province, and the theme for the 16 Days of Activism Campaign for 2023 is: “Accelerating actions to end gender-based violence & femicide: leaving no one behind”. The sub-theme for this year is: “Safe access for women to clean water: a basic human right”.
The theme speaks to the importance of ensuring an all-society and multi-faceted approach to fight GBVF. The sub-theme seeks to address barriers women face in safely accessing water and sanitation in South Africa.
a. Be an activist against GBV in your homes, communities, work and positions:
- Challenge cultures and practices that perpetuate gender inequalities and consequent abuse of women and children at personal and societal level.
b. Play your part:
- Reject and report abusers- Act and don’t look away!
- Do not protect abusers, report them!
- Sign the Pledge Against Gender-Based Violence. Do not engage in abusive activities and become an abuser- Stop abuse.
- Challenge and denounce cultural practices that perpetuate gender inequalities
- Be sensitive and supportive to GBV victims - share helpful information and support causes near you.
- Seek personal help to change harmful behaviors such as alcohol and substance abuse
- Teach children values of gender equality
- Protect children from exposure to violence and harmful content on internet and social media, including pornography, sexual solicitation
- Develop policies that prevent and deal with gender based violence in your sector, workplace and communities.
- Organise targeted community outreach and dialogues on solution towards a gender equal society.
Together, let us take actions to support the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children campaign.