The SoNA 2016 is available in all official languages.
President Jacob Zuma has presented the State of the Nation Address (SoNA) to a joint sitting of the two Houses of Parliament (National Assembly and National Council of Provinces) on 11 February 2016 at 19h00.
The 2016 theme was: “Following up on our commitments to the people”.
During his speech, the President talked about government’s achievements of the past year and looked to the future by presenting a programme for the coming year. This programme set out government’s plans to address various key government programmes. The President addressed the nation in his capacity as Head of State, not only as Head of Government.
The State of the Nation Address is important for all South Africans because it tells us what government’s Programme of Action is for the year ahead. The Programme of Action is government’s plans for the country and people of South Africa.
By being aware of what government is doing, everyone can become involved and also take part in government’s plans to build a better life for all.
Statements and media advisories
- SoNA-in-Numbers – February 2016
- Public Service and Administration hosts 2016 Presidential Golf Challenge, 12 Feb, 10 Feb 2016
- Speaker Baleka Mbete hosts briefing on 2016 State of the Nation Address, 9 Feb , 9 Feb
- President Jacob Zuma visits Marabastad ahead of State of the Nation Address, 8 Feb 2016
- Parliament briefs media on state of readiness to host 2016 State of the Nation Address, 1 Feb, 1 Feb 2016
- Presidency on preparations for State of the Nation Address, 2 Feb 2016
- Presidency on tickets for State of the Nation Address, 2 Feb 2016
- Parliament publishes accredited media list for SONA, 2 Feb 2016
Debate on State of The Nation Address speeches
- President Jacob Zuma: Response to debate on the State of the Nation Address 2016, 18 Feb
- Minister Ebrahim Patel: Debate of the State of the Nation Address, 17 Feb
- Deputy Minister Buti Manamela: Debate on State of the Nation Address, 17 Feb
- Minister Derek Hanekom: Debate on State of the Nation Address, 16 Feb