Apply for an identity document

If you are 16 years and older, you may apply for identity document (ID). You will need an ID to register for your matric exams, get a driving licence or open a bank account.
If you get your ID and there are errors in the personal, the Department of Home Affairs will replace your ID free of charge..

You can apply to have your ID re-issued:

  • if you are married and want to assume the surname of your spouse.
  • if you are a woman and want to apply for a new ID in the name of any of your previous surnames
  • if your ID book has been lost, stolen or damaged

The Department of Home Affairs replacing the green ID book with a smart ID card. It will be done over the next eight years, so you will not necessarily get an ID card when you now apply. If you already have an ID, you will be invited to apply for the ID card.

Find out more about getting an identity document or contact the Department of Home Affairs.