World Stroke Day falls within Stroke Week. It is commemorated to raise awareness on the symptoms of stroke. Approximately 60 people die every day in our country as a result of strokes! But, the good news is, a stroke doesn’t have to be a death sentence.
Knowing the signs of a stroke and seeking immediate medical help can improve the outcome of the stroke. The symptoms of stroke appear suddenly and often there is more than one symptom at the same time.
The symptoms of stroke include:
- Sudden weakness or numbness in the face, arm or leg on one side of the body
- Loss of speech, or trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Unexplained dizziness
- Loss of balance or trouble with walking
- Severe or unusual headache
- Difficulty swallowing