17 to 23 April 2017
This year the Imbizo Focus Week takes place during Freedom Month and before Freedom Day, 27 April 2017, where, on this day in 1994, South Africans from all walks of life celebrate the historical day when their first cast the vote for a free and democratic country.
The Imbizo Focus Week will be rolled-out within the context of profiling tangible strides by government to respond to the various challenges that the country is facing and thus mobilising for collective implementation of key interventions already in place to ensure a better life for all South Africans.
Izimbizo is a unique participatory platform in the South African context. It promotes active citizenry through public participation programmes that are anchored around meaningful dialogues between the elected public representatives and communities. It is an essential tenet to deepening our participatory democracy elements of accountability and engagement.
The Imbizo Focus Week will be a platform to engage face-to-face, plan, acknowledge progress and forge mutual partnerships with communities – giving expression to the NDP ‘Our future – make it work’.
The Imbizo Focus Week will provide Principals with an opportunity to uphold the ‘aftercare’ element of the Imbizo programme premised on concerted feedback mechanisms to provide progress on issues raised previously and unveil interventions aimed at addressing them as such fostering community ownership.
Follow the conversation on social media: #ImbizoWeek
Speeches, statements and advisories:
- Deputy Minister Zou Kota-Fredericks hands over houses to Asbestos families as part of Imbizo Week, 22 Apr , 20 Apr
- Government’s National Imbizo Focus Week is currently underway countrywide, 20 Apr
- Department of Women hosts Imbizo on 365 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children at Soshanguve, 21 Apr , 20 Apr
- Basic Education holds Education Imbizo in Sebokeng, Gauteng, 21 Apr, 20 Apr
- Premier Chupu Mathabatha and members of EXCO embarks on Imbizo Outreach programme, 21 Apr, 20 Apr
- Minister Lindiwe Zulu launches Centre for Entrepreneurship and embark on imbizo in Welkom, 21 Apr, 20 Apr
- Minister Senzeni Zokwana engages with Colleges of Agriculture in Eastern Cape as part of Imbizo Focus Week, 20 to 21 Apr, 19 Apr
- Minister Mildred Oliphant convenes Imbizo with Sugar Cane Farmworkers in Ndwedwe, 23 Apr, 19 Apr
- Premier Supra Mahumapelo hosts VTSD enterprise development economic forum engagements, 18 to 25 Apr, 18 Apr
- Government embarks on sixth National Imbizo Focus Week Programme, 18 Apr