To export ostriches or ostrich eggs, you must apply for an export permit from the Registrar: Animal Improvement 30 days before the intended date of exportation.
The South African Ostrich Business Chamber will have to approve the application.
If there has been an outbreak of bird flu or any other type of disease, the export of ostriches will not be permitted until the signs of disease have disappeared.
You must be a juristic person, e.g. ‘John Peter Citizen’, or ‘John Peter Citizen T/A Diepsloot Stud’, or ‘Diepsloot Stud CC’, or ‘Diepsloot Stud (Pty) Ltd’, or ‘Diepsloot Ltd’.
- Complete the application form for exportation of ostriches or eggs and submit to:
- The Registrar: Animal Improvement, Private Bag X138, Pretoria, 0001 or Delpen Building, corner Annie Botha Avenue and Union Street, Riviera, Pretoria .
- Submit the following:
- import permit from the intended country to which you want to export.
- health certificate issued by a local state veterinarian
- a letter authorising the signatory (agent) to sign the application on your behalf
- reasons and motivation for the purpose of exportation.
- You can also pay by cheque or postal order to Director-General: Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. The bank details are:
Account no: 011219556
Branch code: 000845/010845.
Applications may take 30 days to process.
Tel: 012 319 7424/34
Fax: 012 319 7570/7425
Physical address: Delpen Building, Cnr Annie Botha Avenue and Union Street, Riviera, Pretoria.
Postal address: The Registrar of Animal Improvement, Private Bag X138, Pretoria, 0001.