If you want to import/export animals temporarily into or out of South Africa for specific purposes such as shows, exhibitions, competitions and stud mating/veterinary services, you must apply for and be granted an animal improvement permit from the Registrar of Animal Improvement.
You must also apply for a veterinary import permit from the Directorate of Animal Health and a veterinary health certificate from the exporting country.
You must apply 30 days before you import/export.
- Complete the application form: Application to import/export animals for certain purposes (shows).
- If temporarily importing an animal for stud mating/veterinary services purposes, you must have a certificate from a recognised registrar in the country from which you intend to import the animal. The certificate must indicate the DNA, blood type of the animal and the animal profile.
- You should provide a recommendation from the relevant South African Breeders’ Society specifically for landrace breeds.
- Pay the prescribed fee to the Director-General: Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries by Electronic Fund Transfer Account, cheque or postal order made out to the Director General: Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Standard Bank, Arcadia branch, account no: 011219556, branch code: 000845/ 010845. Ensure you obtain a receipt of payment. Reference must be your name and surname.
- You are responsible for bank charges as well as the Foreign Bank charges. The Department will not issue a permit if the full fee is not received.
- Payments can also be made at the offices of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries listed under contact details.
- In cases where you are applying on behalf of someone else, please make sure that you pay in the name of that person or company’s name.
- No application will be processed without proof of payment.
- Send the form and proof of payment to The Registrar of Animal Improvement, Private Bag X138, Pretoria, 0001, South Africa or fax it to 012 319 7570/7425.
- Following receipt of the completed application form and proof of payment, an animal improvement permit will be issued and given to the Director: Animal Health for a veterinary import permit to be issued.
- After applying for an animal improvement import permit, you must apply for a veterinary import permit from the Director: Animal health. For enquiries regarding a veterinary import permit please phone 012 319 7514.
- Animal Improvement will process your application form and issue you with a certificate and give it to the Directorate: Animal Health for your veterinary import permit to be issued.
- You must apply for a veterinary certificate from the Director: Animal Health.
- You have to present both the original permits to the veterinary officials at the port of entry together with a veterinary health certificate from the exporting country.
Note: Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant and no responsibility for any inconvenience will be accepted.
It will take 30 days to process your application.
Directorate Animal Production
Tel: 012 319 7424 / 012 319 7576 / 012 319 7590 / 012 319 7429 / 012 319 7434 / 012 319 7486
Fax: 012 319 7570/7425
Physical Address: Delpen Building, Cnr Annie Botha Avenue and Union Street, Riviera, Pretoria
Postal Address: The Registrar of Animal improvement Private Bag X138, Pretoria, 0001