The Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996, was approved by the Constitutional Court (CC) on 4 December 1996 and took effect on 4 February 1997.
The Constitution is the supreme law of the land. No other law or government action can supersede the provisions of the Constitution.
South Africa’s Constitution is one of the most progressive in the world and enjoys high acclaim internationally.
- Amendments to the Constitution
- Previous Constitutions
- Constitutional Assembly database
- Department of Justice and Constitutional Development
- Printable version of Constitution [PDF]
- Constitution in all official languages