Minister of Agriculture Foresty And Fisheries, Senzeni Zokwana (MP) to engage with members of fishing communities and villages in Port St Johns, Eastern Cape
Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Honorable Senzeni Zokwana will be hosting an Imbizo in Port St Johns, Eastern Cape on 14 December 2018. The purpose of the Imbizo is to engage with the communities on programmes of the Department with specific focus on fisheries.
Fisheries form part of the heritage of coastal communities as all along the South African coastline, men, women and children have been living in coastal communities for thousands of years harvesting marine resources for consumption, livelihoods, medicinal purposes, and as part of cultural and spiritual practices.
The Imbizo will focus on the sector with particular emphasis on Fisheries.
The aspects which will be focussed on include:
- Progress on Small Scale Fisheries and clear timelines (announcing key decisions to highlight the progressiveness of the department);
- Fishing Rights Allocations Process 2020 matters (transformation, policy consultation process);
- Operation Phakisa (Harbour development in Port St Johns);
- Aquaculture (the Bill and its impact to communities);
- Compliance issues (poaching issues and the need for DAFF to work with communities)
Minister Zokwana will also visit a project which primary beneficiaries are women from the local community. More details to follow.
All media is invited to attend.
Kindly indicate should you require transport.
Media that is interested in covering the event is requested to send your name, name of media house and your email address to MerleVD@daff.gov.za
Cell: 083 952 9723