On 9 October 1998 the Partnership Against HIV and AIDS was launched with the publishing of the Partnership Against AIDS Declaration.
The South African National AIDS Council (SANAC) brings together government, civil society and the private sector to create a collective response to the scourges of HIV, TB and STIs in South Africa. The Council is chaired by the Deputy President of South Africa.
The main objectives of the Council are to:
- foster dialogue between government, civil society and all other stakeholders and to oversee the country's response to HIV, TB and sexually transmitted infections (STIs);
- advise government on HIV and AIDS, TB and STI policy and strategy and related matters;
- strengthen the governance, leadership and management of the response to HIV, TB and STIs at national, provincial, district and local levels;
- strengthen the multi-sectoral response to HIV, TB and STIs as a contribution to the overall social and economic development of South Africa, including but not limited to policy review, programme management and co-ordination, technical assistance and capacity building and sectoral support;
- mobilise resources domestically and internationally to finance the response to HIV, TB and STIs, including but not limited to estimating expenditure and resource needs, fund-raising from domestic and international institutions, including Treasury, donor co-ordination and investigating new sources of funding for the multi-sectoral response and the NSP;
- ensure the monitoring of progress against the targets set in the NSP and ensure mid and end of term evaluations for the prevailing NSP;
- create and strengthen partnerships for an expanded national response in South Africa to HIV, TB and STI among government agencies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), donors of funds, agencies of the United Nations, the South African private sector and people living with HIV, TB and STIs.
- National Strategic Plan on HIV, STIs and TB 2012 - 2016, 30 Nov 2011
- 2010 National Antenatal Sentinel HIV and Syphilis Prevalence Survey in South Africa, 30 Nov 2011
- Presidential Task Team on AIDS (Newspaper advertisement, 28 April 2002) [PDF]
- More documents