Crime Stop Share Call Line: 08600 10111
Crime remains a serious problem in South Africa and therefore a priority for government.
An update on progress and achievements
The Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster briefed the media on 13 December 2015 on the implementation of the Medium Term Strategic Framework (MTSF 2014 – 2019) in the first phase of implementation of the National Development Plan as it relates to crime. Read the full statement.
The South African Police Service (SAPS) announced the crime statistics for 2016/17 on 24 October 2017.
Minister of Police Fikile Mbalula said these statistics could be utilised as early warning to strengthen crime prevention operations and strategies of various departments of government beyond just the South African Police Service.
The Minister said that in 2016/17 approximately 2,1 million serious crime counts were recorded, of which 1 738 980 were community-reported serious crimes.
The SAPS national crime statistics measure twenty-one serious crimes.
Seventeen of these crimes are reported by the community and the other four are detected as a result of police-initiated operations.
The seventeen community-reported serious crimes have continually decreased during the last half of the decade from 2007/08.
However, the contact crime figures, which reflected a fairly consistent decrease during the first half of the decade, have increased over the preceding three financial years. In 2016/17 a reversal is observed and a decrease was again recorded.
The incidence of contact crimes remains the highest in Gauteng, with 171 466 cases recorded. This is followed by the Western Cape with 114 704 cases.
Trio crimes (car-jackings, robbery at residential premises and robbery at non-residential premises) increased compared to 2015/16 with 14,5, 7,3 and 5%, respectively. Cash in transit heists also increased by more than 10%.
Property related crimes, which includes burglary, theft of motor vehicles and stock theft, are still decreasing, except for stock theft that increased by 8,8%..
Commercial crime increased by 5,3% compared to the 2015/ 16 reporting period.
Police were successful in detecting other crimes such as illegal possession of firearms and ammunition, drug-realted crimes and sexual offences, where the cases went up by 9,2%, 12,9% and 5,7%, respectively.
Operation Fiela is a multidisciplinary interdepartmental operation aimed at eliminating criminality and general lawlessness from our communities. It was launched in 2015. Read more...
- The Chief Justice and heads of courts have embarked on the development of holistic case-flow management interventions and a programme of action to increase the efficiency of the courts. The number of persons awaiting trial or remand detainees dropped from 53 901 in 2003/04 to 46 188 in 2012.
- Cabinet in March 2017 approved a comprehensive framework for the development of an Integrated Criminal Justice Strategy (ICJS). This strategy will allow all departments and entities in the criminal justice value chain to integrate their efforts in order to strengthen the efficacy of the entire system. It will go a long way towards addressing challenges relating to the management of bail, overcrowding in correctional centres and the optimal use of alternative non-custodial sentences.
Corruption in the Public Service
- Minister Jeff Radebe launched an Anti-Corruption Discussion Document in May 2017. South Africans are invited to provide input on this process.
- An Anti-Corruption Inter-Ministerial Committee was established by President Jacob Zuma in June 2014. It is mandated to oversee all government’s anti-corruption efforts and initiatives, and to track progress both at the policy and operational levels.
- The Office of the Chief Procurement Officer (OCPO) was established to modernise and consolidate the state’s fragmented legislative framework for procurement and supply chain management. One of the outcomes is the curbing of corruption.
- From April 2015 to March 2017, the President has signed 31 proclamations empowering the Special Investigative Unit (SIU) to investigate serious malpractices, maladministration and corruption in connection with the administration of state institutions and to take appropriate and effective civil action. During that period, the value of money and assets recovered totalled about R230 million while the value of the potential loss prevented came close to R1,4 billion. Furthermore, the value of contracts and /or administrative decisions set aside or deemed invalid was close to R4,6 billion.
- National Anti-Corruption Strategy
- Minister Jeff Radebe: Launch of Anti- Corruption Discussion Document, 14 May 2017
Violence against women and children
Government hosts an on-going campaign to voice our anger against violence against women and children. We have to find ways of making our homes and communities safe for all, especially for women and children....... read more
Government on fighting crime and corruption
- Insight newsletter issue 20: We are a responsive government September2015
- Insight newsletter issue 14: Unpacking public perception of corruption, December 2014
- Government news on safety and security in Vuk'uzenzele
- Crime statistics series, Vol 1 2010-2011, 6 February 2014
Speeches and statements on fighting crime and corruption
- National Police Commissioner General Phiyega at the 2013/14 National Crime Statistics release, 19 September
- Commissioner Riah Phiyega: Signing of Memorandum of Understanding between SAPS and Primedia Crime Line, 15 September
- More speeches and statements
- Minister Sibusiso Ndebele on transformation programmes for prisoners, 22 September
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa: Release of 2012/13 South African Police Service National Crime Statistics, 19 September
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa: South African Police Service and Independent Police Investigative Directorate Dept Budget Vote 2013/14, 30 May
- Minister Jeff Radebe: Justice, Crime Prevention, Safety and Security Cluster (JCPS) post-State of the Nation Address media briefing, 24 February
- Deputy Minister Makhutso Sotyu: Crime statistics, 18 October
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa on police service delivery to communities, 2 October
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa on progress made in firearm control, 18 September
- Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe: Lead SA second anniversary, 3 August
- Minister Jeff Radebe: Justice, Crime Prevention and Security (JCPS) Cluster media briefing, 25 June
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa: Police Dept Budget Vote 2012/13, 9 May
- Minister Jeff Radebe: Justice, Crime Prevention and Security (JCPS) cluster media briefing, 19 February
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa: Release of National Crime Statistics, 8 Sep 2011
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa: Police Dept Budget Vote debate NCOP 2011/12, 26 May
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa on firearm licence applications, 24 May
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa: Police Dept Budget Vote 2011/12, 13 April
- Deputy Minister Makhotso Sotyu: Police Dept Budget Vote 2011/12, 13 April
- Minister Nathi Mthethwa briefs National Council of Provinces (NCOP) on crime prevention programmes, 10 Mar
- J Radebe: Justice Crime Prevention and Security Cluster programme of action briefing notes, 20 Feb
- Justice, Crime Prevention and Security (JCPS) by numbers, 20 Feb
- N Mthethwa: Release of national crime statistics, 9 Sept
- N Mthethwa: Crime Turn Around Strategy Conference, 4 Sept
- J Radebe: Transcript of Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster Programme of Action (PoA) media briefing, 11 Nov
- Police Service on crime, 1 Nov
- N Mthethwa on crime-fighting programmes, 28 Oct
- J Zuma on meeting with police station commanders, 29 Sept
- J Zuma: Meeting with police station commanders, 29 Sept
- N Mthethwa: Release of Crime Statistics for 2008/09, 22 Sept
- Crime situation in South Africa - 2003/2004 to 2008/2009 (presentation) [PDF, 391 kb], 22 Sept
- Crime situation in South Africa [PDF, 968 kb] (chapter in South African Police Service Annual Report 2008/09), 22 Sept
- N Mthethwa to release 2008/09 crime statistics, 22 Sept, 21 Sept
- B Cele on fight against crime, 24 August
- F Mbalula: Nelson Mandela Bay Crime Prevention Summit, 13 August
- L Max: Western Cape Crime Summit, 25 July
- G Barry: Gospel festival against crime, 25 July
- B Dlamini: Launch of National Policy Guidelines and National Directory on Services for Victims of Violence and Crime, 22 July
- G Barry: Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster workshop, 13 July
- M Modiselle on crime in State of the Province Address, 12 June
- K Mosunkutu: Priorities on crime, 29 May
- G Barry: Justice, Crime Prevention and Security cluster meeting, 20 May
- North West Public Safety on fight against crime , 19 May
- Gauteng Community Safety on fight against crime, 17 March
- Justice Crime Prevention and Security Cluster on Mpumalanga visit, 3 March
- Police Service on crime line support, 17 February
- P Mashatile: Gauteng Aggravated Robbery Strategy launch, 3 December
- Safety and Security on Anti-Crime Summit - key messages, 2 December
- Safety and Security on Anti-crime Summit,2 December
- B Mbete: Anti-Crime Summit, 1 December
- South African Police Service on A Trollip removal from investigating criminal cases, 20 November
- N Mthethwa on South African Police Service Amendment Bill, 19 November
- N Mthethwa: Anti-crime plan, 12 November
- F Cachalia: Gauteng Community Safety quarterly media briefing, 12 November
- South African Police Service on Crime Line successes, 12 November
- S Masango on crime and safety in Mpumalanga, 6 November
- N Mthethwa: Justice, Crime Prevention and Security Cluster monitoring and evaluation media briefing, 30 October
- South African Police Service Annual Report 2007/08 tabled in Parliament, 18 September,
- South African Police Service Annual Report 2007/08
- Directors-General of Justice, Crime Prevention and Security (JCPS) on cluster meeting, 2 September
- South African Police Service on Crimeline arrests, 26 August
- Z Skweyiya: Action for a Safe South Africa Convention, 25 August
- Justice Crime Prevention and Security Cluster briefing, 25 August
- C Nqakula: Statement
- Transcript of briefing
- D Bruce: Study of the Violent Nature of Crime in South Africa: Creating a violence free society [PDF]
- Streets of pain, streets of sorrow: Circumstances of occurrence of murder in six areas with high murder rates - executive summary [PDF]
- Streets of pain, streets of sorrow: Circumstances of occurrence of murder in six areas with high murder rates [PDF]
- The violent nature of crime [PDF] , 25 June 2007
- Recommendations to assist govt in the fight against crime - SANews.gov.za
- The story Charles Nqakula would write if he was a journalist, 4 July
- Crime situation in South Africa - April to March: 2001 - 2008 [PDF], 30 June
- Statement on crime situation, 30 June
- S Ndebele at United Nations Crime Summit, 18 June
- SABC, Primedia partner to fight crime, 13 June
- International Marketing Council: The South Africa you want to live in, 12 June
- Active Citizens Campaign - Questions and answers [PDF], 12 June
- C Nqakula: Safety and Security Dept Budget Vote 2008/09, 4 June
- National Anti-Crime Campaign Progress Report [PDF], April
- Statement on crime situation, 6 December
- Report on crime statistics 2006/07, 6 December
- Crime situation in South Africa - April to September: 2001 - 2007, 6 December
- Executive Summary of crime situation in SA [PDF], 3 July
- Business Against Crime on release of annual crime statistics [PDF], 4 July
- SAPS Annual Report
- Anti-Crime Leadership Forum
- Primedia's Anti-Crime Campaign