Government condemns any form of violence against women and children.
We must work together with police, prosecutors and courts to ensure that those who hurt and abuse others are arrested and convicted. Report all cases of rape, sexual assault or any form of violence to a local police station or call the toll-free Crime Stop number: 086 00 10111.
Gender-based violence (GBV) does not discriminate. Any person of any race, age, sexual orientation, religion or gender can be a victim or perpetrator of GBV.
People may be victims of abuse if: They seem fearful of their partner; spend less time with family and friends; often criticised or belittled by their partner; partner is jealous, possessive and/or aggressive; have become unusually quiet or withdrawn and have physical injuries such as bruises or broken bones.
Men can challenge the normalisation of violence To prevent violence against women and their children, we have to challenge the beliefs and behaviours that excuse, justify or condone violence and inequality. Make your voice heard by declaring publicly that enough is enough:
- challenge the normalisation of violence against women and children
- challenge gender stereotype and roles
- challenge condoning of violence against women and children
- challenge sexist jokes and remarks about women.
Signs to check against Men are called upon to challenge behaviours and attitudes that have an impact on violence against women and children. You may need help if you say YES to any of these statements:
- We cannot and can never separate or divorce.
- I cannot live without her.
- I have had sex with a drunk person.
- I have ignored someone asking me to stop continuing a sexual act.
- She cheated on me, so I had to punish her.
- I believe that when she says ‘NO’, she means ‘YES’.
- I spent money on her – she owed me sex, so I took what she owed me.
- She was dressed like she wanted sex. Dial the free helpline 0800 428 428 and find help immediately.
Men are encouraged to join movement to end gender based violence and sign the pledge
Useful numbers to keep: