- Abstain from sex or stick to one partner.
- Use a condom correctly every time you have sex.
- Limit your number of sexual partners.
- Get tested and treated for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and insist that your partner do too.
- Avoid injecting drugs.
- If you are a man, consider medical male circumcision as it decreases the likelihood of infection.
- If you suspect that you might have HIV, visit a clinic for testing as soon as possible.
You cannot get HIV:
- by being around people who are HIV positive
- from a mosquito bite.
National AIDS helpline: 0800 012 322