You must renew your motor vehicle licence every year before it expires. If you fail to renew your licence, you will be liable to pay late licensing penalties and arrears.
You get a 21-day grace period if you have not renewed the expired motor vehicle licence. The grace period is calculated from the expiry date of the current licence disc. You must renew your motor vehicle licence at your relevant registering authority or at a selected post office near you.
Bi-annual motor vehicle licence renewal:
Licences for buses must be renewed every six months because their certification of roadworthiness is valid for six months only.
- If your vehicle is used for public transport or is a heavy load motor vehicle, you must obtain a roadworthiness certificate.
- Go to your nearest registering authority or post office that issue motor vehicle licences and take the following with if your vehicle is registered in your name:
- your identity document
- proof of residential address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- if you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your residential address
- motor vehicle licence renewal notice (MVL2). If you did not receive a renewal notice, complete form ALV (Application for Licensing of Motor Vehicle)
- For a vehicle registered in an organisation or company's name, bring the following:
- business certificate of the organisation or company
- identity document of proxy
- letter of proxy
- motor vehicle licence renewal notice (MVL2). If you did not receive a renewal notice, complete an Application for Licensing of Motor Vehicle form (ALV).
- Pay the licence fee specified on the notification.
The application is processed on the same day.
Contact your local licencing office for the cost.
The Application for motor vehicle licence (MVL1) form is available from any registering authority or selected post offices