11 Apr 2017
- We started the week on a positive note, characterised by relatively peaceful protests. (7th April 2017) which displayed the maturation of our Democracy which is an essential pillar of our active citizenry.
- Our reading of the current National Mood and the protests should be seen in this light.
- We want to promote mutual tolerance as we exercise our civic duties and minimize destruction of property and loss of life.
- We welcome the briefing by the Minister of Police today as well as the state of readiness.
- We reiterate the calls for maximum calm and restraint that allows all citizens to go about their business, without infringing on the rights of others.
- Our Government has been hard at work embarking on major initiatives aimed at improving the lives of South Africans for the better.
- Today, we were with President Zuma in Westonaria supported by Ministers Dlodlo, Zokwana, Mokonyane Nkwinti and two Deputy Ministers Mashigo-Dlamini and November.
- This was part of an ongoing implementation of the 9 – Point Plan of Government which includes the promotion of Agri – Parks as nodal points for economic growth.
- This is the first vertical hydroponic Agri-park owned by government in the whole of Africa.
- This was not a stand-alone – Agri-parks focus as the Free State province also held a similar engagement with the agricultural sector aimed at bolstering rural economy bringing active players in the sector together.
- As Government, we attach great importance to this sector and recognize its value in job creation and growing the Agricultural economy to benefit South Africa and contribute to both regional and global food security.
- Through Agri-parks, we aim to bring 300 000 new small holder farmers into the agricultural sector. The Programme is going to be operationalized to all 44 District Municipalities and it is coming to your District too.
Science and Technology
- Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor will launch two survey results on intellectual property and technology transfer as well as findings on the latest research and development.
- As a nation, we place great importance in R& D as a catalyst for economic growth . The launch tomorrow will be followed by policy discussions by experts in the field aimed at improving our Research and Development capabilities.
Safety and Security (Correctional Services)
- As part of complying with Court Rulings, the Acting Minister of Justice and Correctional Service, Minister Faith Muthambi will Visit Pollsmoor Correctional Facility on Wed, 12th April to assess progress made in reducing Pollsmoor remand detainees.
- This is in line with government commitment to adherence to the rule of law and is aimed at stabilizing the sector and strengthens our monitoring and evaluation competencies as government.
- On Friday the Easter holidays begin. Our message as government is that we must save lives on the roads. Last year the Department of Transport reported 245 fatalities during the Easter Holiday. This was an increase of 15.8% from the previous year. We call on all South Africans to do their to end the carnage on our roads.
- On behalf of South African we would like to wish the President of the Republic of South Africa a Happy Birthday and good health as he continues to directs the programmes of government.
Let’s not forget, Arrive Alive – Don’t’ Drink and Drive!
Cell: 083 501 0139
Cell: 082 901 0766