If you intend to import a new or used vehicle, goods vehicle or trailer, or a built (manufactured) or modified vehicle, you must first obtain a letter of authority.
You must have the letter of authority irrespective of whether the vehicle was built in South Africa or in a foreign country. Types of vehicle for which you require a letter of authority are:
- cars, buses and motorcycles
- goods vehicles (trucks or vans)
- special vehicles such as mobile cranes, tractors and harvesters.
All motor vehicles, whether manufactured in South Africa or imported, must conform to the requirements as set out in the National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act 93 of 1996). Importers must also submit proof of conformity.
Only the person in whose name the vehicle will be registered may complete the application form.
- Download the Application for letter of authority form or obtain it from the National Regulator for Compulsory Specifications (NRCS).
- Complete the form and attach the following:
- certified identity document (ID) of applicant, or ID of proxy if the applicant is a company
- affidavit for the built-up motor vehicle from the South African Police Service (SAPS). This should include the engine and chassis numbers, full details of the work carried out and source of major (especially safety-critical) components(SOA-Form)
- SAPS clearance certificate
- roadworthy certificate
- weigh-bridge certificate
- two photographs of the motor vehicle.
- Pay the required fee.
Your letter of authority should be ready within four to six days.
See the applicable application form for costs.
- Application for letter of authority – LoA1 - to import and register/licence on motor vehicle
- Application Form - LOA2 - to import new motor vehicles into South Africa on a continuous basis
- Application Form - LOA3 - to import motor vehicles into South Africa for a specific purpose
- Application Form - LOAX - letter of authority or exemption to import motor vehicles into South Africa for a specific purpose
- Application Form - ALA - to register/licence one motor vehicle which has been newly constructed or modified as per Road Traffic Act