Import individual or personal goods

What you should do
How long does it take
How much does it cost
Forms to complete
Who to contact



About importing personal or individual goods

If you want to import controlled or used and second-hand personal or individual goods into South Africa you need permission from the International Trade Administration Commission (Itac).

The Minister of Trade and Industry has the discretion to ban or restrict the importation of a specified class or kind of goods.

A list of goods that are subject to import and export control measures is available on the Itac website. If you submit your contact details to Itac, the list can be posted, faxed or emailed to you.

What you should do

  1. Register as an importer at the South African Revenue Service (Sars)
  2. Go to Itac or download the forms:
  3. Submit the application form with a certified copy of your identity document or valid South African passport to Itac.

How long does it take

It may take up to three days to complete the process

How much does it cost

Itac does not charge any service fees but you will have to pay customs duty to Sars. Customs duty is calculated as a percentage of the value of the goods (set in the schedules to the Customs and Excise Act). For more information on customs duty, visit the Sars website.


ITAC national office
Tel0861 843 384
Physical addressInternational Trade Administration Commission, 77 Meintjies Street, Block D, Sunnyside, Pretoria, 0001
Postal addressPrivate Bag X753 Pretoria, 0001
Web address